- CLAYHOUSE, a village, in the parish of Borthwick, county of Edinburgh, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Carrington; containing 84 inhabitants. It is in the northern part of the parish, a short distance east of the high road from Middleton to Cockpen, and derives its name from an ancient inn, built of clay, which stood by the way-side, and of which a part still remains, though materially altered. The village borders on a detached portion of Temple parish, and several cottages have lately been erected in the neighbourhood.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cardowan — infobox UK place country = Scotland official name= Cardowan os grid reference= NS665682 population= Unknown unitary scotland= North Lanarkshire lieutenancy scotland= Lanarkshire map type=Scotland latitude=55.8879 longitude= 4.1368 post town=… … Wikipedia
Borthwick — BORTHWICK, a parish, in the county of Edinburgh, 3 miles (E. by N.) from Temple; containing, with the villages of Clayhouse, Dewartown, Middleton, North Middleton, Newlandrig, and part of Stobbsmills, 1617 inhabitants. This place, anciently… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland